vBSEO 2.2.0 has been officially released. This is an extremely important release - In addition to adding an advanced new SEO feature called "Relevant Replacements", it is also fully compatible with the "vBSEO Google/Yahoo Sitemap Generator" plugin/mod we just released today at vbulletin.org!
Relevant Replacements is probably vBSEO's most exciting new feature since our Custom Rewrite Rules - We expect that the majority of our customers will want to try out this new feature immediately!
In addition, we have once again made improvements to performance particularly geared towards larger and more active forums.
Here is a summary of updates included in vBSEO 2.2.0:Next 3 Featured Forums for the vBSEO Homepage
We will soon be featuring 3 new forums on the www.vbseo.com homepage. The criteria for selection is forums that have achieved significant SEO improvements since implementing vBSEO (i.e. more web traffic, high rankings for keywords, increased AdSense revenue, etc.). To be considered, you must post a thread within our vBSEO Reviews forum.
(1) NEW FEATURE: Relevant Replacements - The new relevant replacements feature can be enabled from within your vBSEO Admin CP.
The Relevant Replacements feature is a significant step forward in boosting the relevancy of vBSEO-enabled pages by giving the forum admin the ability to insert combinations (i.e. phrases) containing various highly relevant content anywhere they want in their vBulletin templates. This is a very powerful feature, especially for more advanced SEO professionals.
Relevant phrase patterns are created within the vBSEO Admin Control Panel in the "Define Relevant Replacements" section.
The relevant phrase patterns can be constructed using any of the following replacement patterns along with plain text:
The replacement patterns can be used in any combination to construct relevant replacement phrases that will be inserted by vBSEO into any of your templates in which you insert a corresponding comment tag in the format of <!--VBSEO_PHRASE_X-->.
- [thread_title] - For showthread, showpost, and printthread pages it will contain the title of the thread.
- [forum_description] - For forumdisplay, showthread (etc) pages, it will contain the forum description.
- [forum_title] - For forumdisplay, showthread (etc) pages, it will contain the title of the forum.
- [bb_title] - For any vBSEO rewritten page, it will contain the title of your forum as defined in your vBulletin Admin CP.
- [default_keywords] - For any vBSEO rewritten page, it will contain the basic forum keywords as defined in your vBulletin Admin CP.
- [first_post_X_words] - For showthread, showpost, and printthread pages it will contain the first X words of the actual post. Note: The X is replaced in order to indicate the # of words you want to use in the replacement pattern. Example: [first_post_10_words] would take the first 10 words from the post to be used in the relevant replacement pattern.
The X is replaced by a # corresponding to the replacement pattern you created in your vBSEO Admin CP. Example:
[thread_title] at the [forum_title] within the [bb_title]
After creating the above replacement patterns, the admin would insert the <!--VBSEO_PHRASE_1--> and <!--VBSEO_PHRASE_2--> tags into their vBulletin templates in *any* place they wish vBSEO to apply the relevant replacement content.
- The [thread_title] at the [forum_title] within the [bb_title] replacement pattern would replace the <!--VBSEO_PHRASE_1--> tag whereever it occurs in any of your templates.
- The [thread_title]: [first_post_10_words] replacement pattern would replace the <!--VBSEO_PHRASE_2--> tag whereever it occurs in any of your templates.
Note: We expect you all, with the exception of a few of our vBSEO gurus, to have some questions about this feature. As always, feel free to ask away and the Crawlability team, our moderators, and your fellow vBSEO users will help you to get started!
(2) NEW FEATURE: vBSEO Google/Yahoo Sitemap Generator is now fully supported. The vBSEO Sitemap was released at vBulletin.org for vBulletin 3.5.x (plugin) and 3.0.x (mod).FYI This feature was developed based on suggestions provided by Michael Brandon (T2DMan) in the following post: http://www.vbseo.com
Please see the release notes for more information:
(3) UPDATE: 'Image Size Attributes' feature upgraded to allow for images within sub-directories up to 2 levels deep from forum root.
(4) UPDATE: When search engine bots encounter links with a custom page size parameter (pp=x), they will be 301 redirected to the URL version without the pp parameter to avoid duplicate content.
(5) UPDATE: When search engine bots encounter links with highlight=keyword in the query string, they will be 301 redirected to the URL version without the highlight parameter.
(6) UPDATE: When search engine bots encounter links with parameters such as "sort", "order", "daysprune" in the query string, they are automatically 301 redirected to a URL version without the query string.
(7) UPDATE: When the thread page requested is higher than the total number of pages for the thread, it is automatically 301 redirected to the last page of the thread.
(8) UPDATE: The XML plugin installation file has been renamed to crawlability_vbseo.xml.
(9) UPDATE: Improved SQL query optimization for forums running mySQL 4.x versions.
(10) UPDATE: Added a new memory cleanup function which prevents an Apache segmentation fault error from occurring from some highly active forums/servers when submitting a new thread via newthread.php.
(11) UPDATE: Removed a function that would display the default folder image icon for smilies that refer to images that do not exist on the server (due to typos, etc.).
(12) FIX: Link to thread being viewed by users in "Who's Online" list resolving to wrong page of the thread when clicked.
(13) FIX: Problem with vBA Galleries links located below forum root related to gallery sort order.
(14) FIX: Error with thread link for last poster in thread.
(15) FIX: vBA Gallery anchor link with double slash.
(16) FIX: Error when vbroot is entered in the vB Admin CP with a trailing slash.
(17) FIX: Ampersand (&) character in thread titles being replaced by "and" in the CRUs even when "and" is listed as a stopword.
(18) FIX: Archive links not rewritten for forums that were using the full URL within the archive.
(19) FIX: Invalid link for "more replies below the current depth" when using the "threaded view".
(21) FIX: Format of link causing XHTML 1.0 Transitional validation to fail.
(22) FIX: Disabling archive rewriting in some forums caused the vB archive to stop working (404 error).
(23) FIX: Attachment links in post editting under Additional Options contained an error.
(24) FIX: <base> tag not recognized by Opera browsers when using AJAX features (newreply.php).
(1) Close your forums via your admincp
(2) Remove the vBSEO 2.x Plugin via your admincp
(3) Install vBSEO as a product by uploading 'product-crawlability_vbseo.xml'
(4) Backup your .XML settings file (through 'forums/vbseocp.php')
(5) Upload all the files in the '/upload' folder
(6) Restore your previous settings by uploading your backup .XML file
(7) Re-open your forums
Note: Steps 2, 3, 4 and 6 are for upgrades only and are not required when you are installing vBSEO for the first time.