The wait is over. vBSEO RC5 has now been officially released. We've nicknamed RC5 the "Renovatio" release. Those of you who dropped the $20 on the ticket, popcorn, and soda to see the recently released movie "The Island" know that it is Latin for "Re Birth". RC5 represents a rebirth for vBSEO, as this latest generation almost completely eliminates any remaining duplicate content issues, adds several new features that you will really enjoy, and is the first release implemented via our new streamlined versioning system.
Again, whether or not RC5 is now bulletproof, depends on our tireless team of testers (pardon the alliteration) who demand nothing less than 100%!
Here is a summary of updates included in vBSEO 2.0 RC5:
(1) vBSEO is now compliant when running "PHP as CGI". There is no need for anyone to transfer to a new hosting account in order for the archive features to function correctly. This corrects an known incompatibility issue inherent in vB's archive feature.
(2) 'Force Forum Root as Homepage' feature added to vBSEO Admin CP. When enabled, if the vB user is using index.php as the script name, all links to forum home will be directed to vbroot/ in order to consolidate PageRank. When disabled, forum home links will always be to index.php or the script name configured in vB. This allows users with high PageRank on their index.php forum homepage link to continue using that link for forum home.
(3) URLs are now rewritten in vB RSS data syndication feeds ensuring that any website/system pulling your RSS feed will link back to your static CRUs.
(4) Optional 'Limit URL Length' feature can now applied to static URLs. This allows vBSEO users to setup the maximum number of keywords to be used in the forum and thread titles of the CRU. It can be used to reduce overall static URL length. The option can be configured in the vBSEO Admin CP. This is useful for admins who are concerned that excessively long URLs can be viewed negatively by search engine crawlers.
(5) New feature added to allow rel=nofollow to be added to static links that have query string data appended. The option can be enabled/disabled in vBSEO Admin CP. This prevents duplicate content issues that might arise with sorting links.
(6) New feature added to allow rel=nofollow to be added to dynamic links that have query string data appended such as 'Post Reply', 'Quote', and 'Quick Reply Search' links. The option can be enabled/disabled in vBSEO Admin CP. NOTE: These pages have non-relevant (or "noise") content which should not be indexed by Search Engines resulting in better SEO.
/* Items 5 and 6 represent major steps forward in eliminating duplicate content and preventing undesirable pages from being indexed in the SERPs. Remember "quality" vs. "quantity". */
(7) The internal vBSEO versioning structure has been streamlined to increase efficiency of development and testing for future iterations. While that may sound like a large helping of mumbo jumbo, it effectively means that we are going to be able to deliver new versions of vBSEO to you much faster than in the past.
(8) Updates to error handling compliance.
(a) Feature to allow "file not found" requests to either: (i) issue a 404 error, or (ii) redirect to the forum homepage.
(b) Standard vB error messages are now handled and displayed correctly.
(9) vB moderation system works without issue for 3.0.x and 3.5.x (with inline moderation)
(10) The option to rewrite showpost.php and printthread.php has now been separated into two options, one for each script.
(11) New feature added to allow rel=nofollow to be added to showpost.php and/or printthread.php links. The option can be enabled/disabled in vBSEO Admin CP.
(12) <base> tag is no longer added to pages served from the root forum URL. This fixes a known incompatibility with another vB mod.
(13) 301 redirections added for links containing "/member.php?find=lastposter" when '301 Redirect Original Content' feature is enabled in the vBSEO Admin CP.
(14) Fixed a compatibility issue with vbAdvanced's Gallery.
(15) Dynamic META KEYWORDS & DESCRIPTIONS modified in thread and single post display. Keywords now have extra commas removed & stop words filtered. Descriptions are now the first x characters in the post or thread.
(16) Dynamic META KEYWORDS & DISCRIPTIONS now added to individual post displays. At minimum, we're keeping Inktomi happy!
(17) Corrected a bug with the Member Search link.
(18) Corrected a bug with thumbnails for attachments.
(19) Corrected a bug with vB search query rewriting.
(20) Corrected a bug with vB list, link, and email VB code buttons.
(21) Upgraded to be compatible with T2DMan's "vBulletin Google Site Map" hack.
(22) Query string removed from $_SERVER variables including: SCRIPT_NAME, PHP_SELF, SCRIPT_FILENAME, and PATH_TRANSLATED.
Let the challenge of finding new bugs in RC5 commence. Feel free to post a message in the forums if you have any questions.
Testers go to: http://www.crawlability.com/vbseo/friends/ and enter your login details.
(1) Backup your .XML settings file (through 'forums/vbseo_cp.php')
(2) Upload all the files in the '/upload' folder
(3) Restore your previous settings by uploading your backup .XML file